Inside the YOUFU

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Life Drawing: Week 7

Hello, welcome to my new posting. This week we moved away from the body of our life figures and began focusing more on the leg and feet. Unlike the previous weeks I believe we were able to balance out working with both the manikin and drawing in class. I felt it was quite beneficial to have a sense of balance rather than focusing more on one than the other. As we looked closer at the form and shape of the feet it was interesting to break down the individual parts into box like forms before going in into details. I think this approach was a good learning experience that I can apply to more of what I do in my Industrial Design work. So far in class I have noticed that the feet has been one of the most difficult forms to draw. I found it quite challenging than most of the other features we have focused in class. If we were to draw the some part of the feet incorrectly then I felt the whole drawing was destroyed. In addition, It was difficult to distinguish where the planes of the feet met. This made it difficult to draw a realistic replication of the foot.

1 Hour-Foot Drawing
This drawing was drawn towards the end of the class on Friday of our male model. As I was drawing the feet I had trouble maintaining the individual planes on the toes and from making them appear like little sausages. After some addition help from the instructor, it was interesting to see that even the toe nails had a certain thickness. By giving the toe nails each individual planes I was able to create a more three dimensional image of the nails. Overall, I was satisfied with the results of my drawing. As the class continues I hope to improve my drawing skills in this class.

2 comments:

  1. When I was walking around on Friday I saw your drawing and I must say that I really enjoy it... Adding thickness to the nails is brilliant and I'm glad that you brought that up in this post because I think that it will help me begin to look more at the little details while also looking at the bigger picture. As far as this last week in drawing, I agree that it was a good balance between the manikin and drawing. I hope that you had a wonderful break, and hope that you keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice picture of the foot, looks very realistic. I am glad you wrote about the thickness of the toenail - it sheds a little better light on how to draw the feet. My drawings of feet and toes need more work/practice.

    ReplyDelete