Inside the YOUFU

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Life Drawing: Week 5

Hi, welcome to my fifth week posting. This week we coninued to practice the same principals of proportions and body form. The majorirty of of the time this week was focued primary on our manikins and getting the muscles to align correctly and fit within the proper area. We begun moving towards the leg regions where we added the muscles pereneus longus, soleus, and the gastrocnemius. These are all located toward the back of the leg forming the calf muscles. As we progress forward, we are now preparing our portfolios for next week friday's midterm review. For this we are required to choose 10 of our best drawings from our class and complete the last muscle attachments to our manikin.


Anterior View

 This is just an overview on the progress I have had so far on my manikin. Although I could have held back a little bit on smoothing the layers of muscles to eachother, I am pleased with the quality of my work. During the process of attaching the muscles it was quite irritating at times. The refrence books were sometimes confusing to determine if the muscles were located towards the front or back of the manikin. But after some clarification from the professor the manikin began taking the proper shape. I actually had quite a few mistakes, as some of the muscles were flipped around and were sometimes too thin.








Posterior View of Leg Muscles


 This image is an overview of the leg muscles I have just completed today. It illustrates what was talked about earlier the peroneus longus, soleus, and the gastrocnemius. It's interesting to observe all the fine detail that goes within the human body. Although we as a class are just touching bases with the main muscle groups, there was still a great amount of work required to create each layer. I believe the experience and knowledge I've gained from making the manikin, helped give me a greater understanding on how the body is formed and moves. As our class sessions consist of  repeative drawing exercises, it begins to get easier to locate and distinguish where these muscle groups are. It helps provide a reference to our drawings by providing a more realistsic appearence.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate that you made this post strictly about the manikin because a great number of us have been spending a longer amount of time on this than we have drawing in class. I must say now that I am jealous about how detailed and beautiful yours looks. I personally went through the same thing with the placement of my muscles and how far they were away from others but once they were squished together I found that mine looked less like an alien and more like a human. Hopefully it worked well enough. I hope that you had a great weekend, see you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete