Inside the YOUFU

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Life Drawing: Week 4

Hi, welcome to my fourth week posting. This week we continued to practice the same principals we have learned the previous weeks, dealing with the spinal region, abdominal, and obliques. As we move forward we are now learning more about the torso region and begin to develop a greater understanding on the proportion of the human anatomy. Our next focus will be located towards the thigh and leg regions, such as the pectineus, adductors, and the gracilis.

45 minute-Male drawing
 Towards the end of the week we used a male model focusing on the same elements of proportion and form of the body. As I began this drawing I started by focusing on the mid section of the body, making sure I have the line positioned in the right angle. I then moved forward to the rib cage area where I tried to determine how it sat within the body. Similar to the previous weeks I began the rib cage with the shape of an egg. I would then follow this by process by determining where the torso region lied. It was difficult to determine the exact area of the torso due to the position I was in, I was not able to fulling distinguish it clearly. After capturing the essential areas of the body I moved forward to determine where the several muscle groups of the abdominal and obliques were located. In comparison to the female figure it was much easier to determine where the muscles lied on the male figure than the female. This was one interesting observation when having to switch from a female to a male model.

As the class progresses so does my understanding in the human anatomy. By the various repetitive drawings we produce in class it has helped increase my understanding of how the various components in the human body are positioned with one another. Although it may be a different style of drawing I am typically used to, I can see it being a great importance in my development of being a great artist. 

2 comments:

  1. I like how you address a great deal of things that we have been working on in class and most of them I relate to and appreciate that you remind me of what we have been working on in class. The drawing looks good, I have been having a great deal of difficulty with how different the male body is from the female. I always feel like I'm doing something wrong when I barely have any curves in my drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed how few lines you had in your drawing and I really admire your patience. For 45 minutes that's a lot of concentration and attention to every angle/movement of your lines!

    ReplyDelete