Inside the YOUFU

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life Drawing: Week 15


 Hi welcome to my blog. Throughout this semester course of life drawing it has introduced me to a different approach drawing as well as a greater understanding of the human body. In traditional drawing courses that I have taken it teaches us to draw what we see rather than what we really know. In life drawing we learn to develop an understanding of the body to draw what we know rather than what we see.  It also teaches that by breaking objects down to different parts and planes we can create each component of the human body.  When first being introduced to this class I felt confident that I was able to learn the gestural drawing style. It was a particular style I was not very used to, as I am more a neat freak rather than a sketching drawer. I feel that from this class it has also contributed to my drawings outside of class, such as my industrial design courses. It allowed me to just express all my ideas on a page without the fear of having a messy drawing. It some cases this sketchiness has an attractive feel that I like.  Aside from drawings in class, we were given the opportunity to learn more about the human body through the use of our manikins. We were given assignments weekly to add muscles on the skeletal surface of the manikin. It was an interesting experience to learn from adding muscles onto the manikin. It allowed me to gain a greater understanding of how the muscles are positioned, layered, and grouped. It has contributed greatly to our drawings when by allowing us to drawing what we know sometimes when we are not able to see certain parts to the model. Overall, I struggled most with learning how the muscles were grouped together. I felt sometimes the course might have moved a little too quickly with little explanation. In addition I had difficulties with our with our 30 second drawings. I felt it was difficult to apply all the components of the body within that little time frame, although it contributes to making me a better drawer.  As for my strengths I felt I had a pretty good understanding of gesture drawing. As an art student I feel it is important to learn this style early on as it can be applied to other courses to represent your ideas quickly. From this course I feel my ability to drawing quickly to represent an idea has improves tremendously. So thank you life drawing and may everyone have a safe summer.

view my final 10 short drawings here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59964810@N07/sets/72157626577803451/

view my final 10 long drawings here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/59964810@N07/sets/72157626577782789/

Sorry there will not be any manikin pictures posted on my flickr account as I am having trouble getting into getting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment